The area that is now Hidalgo was first settled by Spanish colonists led byÂ JosÃ de EscandÃ³nÂ circaÂ 1749. The colony was known by multiple names: La HabitaciÃ³n, Rancho San Luis, and San Luisito. In 1852, John Young settled in the area and renamed the town "Edinburgh" after his place of birth,Â Edinburgh,Â Scotland; Edinburgh became theÂ county seatÂ of Hidalgo County. The town was incorporated in 1876, and its name was changed to "Hidalgo" in 1885.
Click ‘Choose a Product’ above to get this image handprinted on a ceramic 4x4 custom coaster, cutting board, magnet, ceramic trivet, ornament, dog tag or canvas.